Tuesday, June 6, 2023

The Scallop Shell

 I have arrived in Porto where tomorrow I begin my pilgrimage on the Camino. The weather forecast is 90% chance of rain but so far that hasn’t dampened my spirits. I’m ready for whatever the Camino brings me. 

I have my Camino passport and my scallop sea shell. There are various legends why pilgrims carry the shell. Here are a few of them. 

According to one story, the ship that was carrying St. James’ body was destroyed in a storm, and his body was discovered on the shore completely undamaged because he was covered in scallop shells.

A second myth tells us that the ship passed by a beach wedding, and it scared the horse ridden by the bride. The horse got into the water with her on its back, but, thanks to Divine Intervention, they were saved, emerging from the water covered in scallop shells.

There is another legend saying that while the ship with St. James’ body was passing beneath a cliff, a knight fell from the top, and a miracle made the knight emerge from the sea covered in scallop shells.

Whatever the reason it is a part of the Camino and I’m excited to have mine. Tomorrow’s day is supposed to be 21 miles but I’m hearing talk of a shortcut that knocks off 4. I imagine I’ll be taking it. 

Looking forward to what I’ll be posting tomorrow after my first full, probably rainy day on the Camino de Santiago. 

Since pictures aren’t loading here. Check out my posts on Facebook for pics. 

3 comments:

  1. Loving your blog and photos on Facebook Uncle Tom. Love you and safe travels. Your in our prayers❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see Day #5 is near Campiello, Spain. This is the village where Carlos' grandfather was born and baptized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not sure that is our Camino. Where is Campiello located in Spain.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom