Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Day 1 Complete

 We started off at Porto with a threat of rain. Frankly, I did not look forward to a wet first day. But as I said before God is good; All the time and All the time; God is good. A few sprinkle in three different occasions. We picked up two pilgrims on the way: Jan from Las Vegas (God is ….) and Mark from Michigan. Mark stayed with us the whole time; Jan dropped off at about mile 10 of 17 we did today. The original plan called for 21 miles today but as I said yesterday, someone at the albergue (pronounced al ber gay) suggested a shortcut that saved us four miles. 

We arrived at the hostel at about 2:30.  My legs are good. My back is good. My feet are good. God is good. 

There was a Camino sign on the way that said, “Once a pilgrim; always a pilgrim.” This is so true. And we are all pilgrims on this earth making our way to that great albergue in the sky. 

We are taking the coastal route for another three days before turning inward for the inner route. Walking along the Atlantic, mostly on boardwalks, was an enjoyable first day on the Camino. 

I’ll report back in tomorrow after day two. 

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom