Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Wisdom of Ben Sira Chapter 41

One of the real joys of my priesthood was the two years I was chaplain for an AIDS Hospice in Indianapolis. This was back in 1990-1992 when the AIDS crisis was still somewhat stigmatized. But the men and women I met who were battleing this disease and facing the end of their lives were among the most joyous people I have ever met.

I remember Richard, an actor. We would sit for long periods of time talking about his love of theater. There was Mary who had been a nurse during her working life. She loved to talk about her times working in the emergency room at a local hospital.

There is something wonderful about facing death with dignity and that is what I saw time and time again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom