Friday, April 1, 2022

Wisdom of Ben Sira Chapter 37

I have been blessed to have some great friends walk with me in this life. And I have known some people that only wanted to be friends with me because I'm a priest, because I'm "Father" Tom. I think it was Kahlil Gibran who wrote in The Prophet that: "Your friend is your needs met." In other words, like Ben Sira says, a good friend is of great value. 

This whole chapter deals with things that can be good, but can also turn out to be bad: friends (verses 1-6), advice (verses 7-15), and wisdom (verses 16-26). And then he expounds on the virtue of moderation. He says this in terms of food, but I think it applies in friendships, advice and wisdom as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom