Saturday, February 26, 2022

Thw Wisdom of Ben Sira Chapter 2

Two words sum up chapter two for me: trust and hope. Verses 6-8 call us to trust in the Lord.  and then verse nine challenges us to "hope for good things." Back when I was teaching seniors in high school I remember a lesson that talked about the difference between a wish and a hope. A wish was described as passive while hope was described as active, something over which we had some power or control. For example, I can wish to win the lottery, but short of buying a ticket, there is not much more I can do about. But I can hope to be a successful person and there are lots of things I can do about that.  

I also like the last verse of this chapter: "For equal to his majesty is his mercy..." I rely on that mercy all throughout my life, but I pay particular attention to it during the Lenten season. Join with your thoughts inthe comment section.

 

2 comments:

  1. For the Lord is compassionate and merciful;

    forgives sins and saves in time of trouble
    This verse stuck out to me. So often we struggle forgiving ourselves but knowing the Lord is compassionate and merciful brings a peace to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think at times it is harder to forgive ourselves than it is to forgive others.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom