Saturday, February 26, 2022

The Wisdom of Ben Sira Chapter 1

Welcome to the Wisdom of Ben Sira Lenten Reflection Group. Each day from now until Easter morning, I will post a short reflection on one chapter of the Book of Sirach. The translation I will be using is the New American Bible. The purpose of this group is not to simply listen to me but to exchange thoughts and reflections on the chapter of the day. Hopefully, together we can grow in wisdom ourselves. For an introduction the book itself see the post form yesterday, Friday, February 25.

The first thing that strikes me today in this first chapter is the lovely poetry of Ben Sira. The challenge to understand wisdom ultimately belongs to the one who created her--our God. This then leads to the second thing that strikes me. Ben Sira says that true wisdom comes from "Fear of the Lord." Now, when the Bible refers to the “fear of the Lord,” it means having a deep respect, reverence and awe for God’s power and authority. Rather than causing someone to be afraid of God, a proper “fear of the Lord” leads one to love God. So whenever I hear Fear of the Lord I translate that in my head to love and respect. "Love and respect for the Lord rejoices the heart, giving gladness, joy and long life." (v12) Ben Sira describes fear (love and respect) of the lord as the beginning of wisdom (v14), the root of wisdom (v20).

I also found it interesting that Ben Sira, when talking about "Unjust anger" says that "Until the right time, the patient remain calm, (v23), until the right time, they hold back their words" (v24) this makes me wonder WHEN IS TE RIGHT TIME to be angy, to challenge, to correct. Not sure I have the answer. Wondering your thoughts? 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom