Monday, October 9, 2017

October 9 Chapter 7 It's Not Too Late

When speaking about the story of Abraham and Sarah, McLaren says God kept his promise and they received the blessing of their child, Isaac. Then he writes,: "You might expect a happy ending at this point, but it was not that simple."

That line resonates with me. How often do I think, "I'm glad that's over, things will be a little easier now." It seldom is. Because we are a people always on the journey. When we get past one situation a new one arises. If it were any other way, it seems to me that we would stagnate. Yes, Abraham and Sarah got by one hurdle (no children) only to encounter another (showing a new image of God as one who does not require human sacrifice).

As a parish we are venturing out to build a new church building, a new worship space. It will solve some problems, but there will be more. It seems to me that we should look at this as not a completion of everything but simply as another step on our journey. When we reach this goal, there will be more goals to achieve. But like Abraham and Sarah, God walks with us too.

Where has God led you on your journey? What things have you completed? What more do you hope to do?

3 comments:

  1. I now see a lot of courage in this story that I did not see in all of the previous times that I have heard or read it. It seems to me that it took courage for Abraham and Sarah to say yes to God about having a son especially at their advanced age and to follow Gods will for them, much in the same way that Mary said yes to God in regards to Jesus. It also took courage for Abraham to bargain with God over the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah and highlights how common human sacrifice must have been in that age because Abraham did not argue with God about sacrificing Issac to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Engage #1: I did not realize that human sacrifice was commonplace in the time of Abraham. I have always been concerned about God's test for Abraham, the sacrifice of his son. As mentioned, I didn't realize that this was common and that this encounter between God and Abraham released everyone from this human sacrifice and changed it to animal sacrifices. In the past when I've read about Abraham's test, I have often felt I would not have passed this one. Also, when I think about God and his Son, God did not hold back either but went all the way, knowing that the sacrifice of Jesus changed the concept of sacrifice for eternity.
    Engage #2: I struggle every day not to give up on eventually meeting my granddaughter who was given up for adoption. Our Blessed Mother has told me to simply "Love the child." I do that everyday but still hang onto the hope of holding her in my arms someday.
    For me; I have a list of things I still plan to accomplish before I die. I think about and work on the list occasionally. Most of the items on that list are not that important, just for enrichment. The important actions which enrich my faith are ongoing and always evolving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this moment, I'm in a place of unknowns. I could say God is taking me where I have never been before. There are ideas evolving in my mind about changing careers and starting a coaching business.

    I have had success following what others say I should do with my career and profession. It seems it is time for me to follow a different path.

    The struggle comes from being faithful to the internal voice. It doesn't seem that simple to obey wihtout questioning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom