Monday, October 30, 2017

October 30, 2017            Chapter 10 Getting Slavery Out of the People

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims:

Several things strike me about the readings for this week and it might seem a like a bit of hodgepodge.

Thought 1: Beginning with the scripture reading from Exodus...When I went to my Bible to look up this reading (normally I go to my phone), I had written a note in the margin of chapter 19 verse 7...which says, "...Moses led the people out of the camp to meet God..." At one time it struck me that part of their problem in the Exodus story is contained in that verse. Why did they have to go out of their camp to meet God? Why wasn't God in their camp? I think that one way out of slavery and into freedom is to make sure God is living with us in our "camp."

Thought 2: On page 42, McLaren writes: "We must remember that the road to freedom doesn't follow a straight line from point A to point B. Instead it zigzags and backtracks through a discomfort zone of lack, delay, distress and strain." I see this as a continuation of his comment that he often used in the last chapter...happily ever after right? Wrong. We never reach happily ever after on this side of heaven....there is always another road to walk, another journey to embrace.

Thought 3: McLaren writes (pg. 43) "Through the ten plagues, we might say, God led the people out of slavery. Through the ten commands, God got the slavery out of the people." I tell people all the time the 10 commandments are not given to us to keep us in line, but because when we follow them we are happier people. We are free.

Thought 4: Referring to communion, McLaren writes on page 44: "Around this table, we remember where we've been, where we are, whom we're with, and where we're headed, as we make a new road by walking...together." I think this is why Eucharist is so powerful for me. Every so often, usually because I'm a little sick and don't want to spread germs, I'll sit for communion and have someone else distribute in my place. I love being able to watch others go to communion...I love to pray for others as they go to communion. It always reminds me that we are united around the table.

Those are my thoughts...what are yours?

5 comments:

  1. "The struggles will make us either bitter or better...Against all odds, walking by faith,we will survive, and more we will learn what it means to be alive" McLaren
    Our son Jonathan died at age 11 in his sleep 16 years ago. At the funeral Father Ron Knott said almost the same thing as McLaren. He said, " You have a choice, you can either get stuck in bitterness and despair or you can hold on to your faith and come out on the other side as better people. Knowing this family I think I know which path you will choose"Grief is such a difficult journey. I know too many people who choose to hold on to their grief and the heartbreak for years. They never seem to reach the point where they can thank God for the years they were given instead of being stuck in the anger about the years they lost.Jon's death as painful as it was helped me to grow in my believe that God never left me but held me as I cried and sent people into my life to help me through. It made me a more compassionate person, a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr. Kenny Sweeny was the first pastor I worked with as a priest. We had a funeral for a young boy and he told the story of when his brother died (car accident freshman year of college). When his mom told him his older brother had died, she said we have to stop and thank God. Kenny asked, "Why should we thank God?" and his mam said, "We need to thank God that we had Joe for 18 years." I can only imagine how difficult that would be for a parent, but still it was a life lesson for young Kenny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment about the 10 commandments kind of hit home with me. I remember when I was going to Catholic grade school and we studied our catechism that we learned a lot of do’s and don’t’s, along with a lot of other rules both at school and home. I remember thinking that I needed to follow the rules to stay out of trouble. Didn’t think in terms of being happier when I followed the rules. As I’ve gotten older, I have more often realized that doing the right thing, especially when it comes to my faith, really does make me happier because I feel closer to God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those Ah Ha moments that God gives us! Who knew that manna meant "What is this stuff?" As I reflect on this a little further I consider all the unexpected gifts given by God then we ask, "What am I supposed to do with this stuff?" Any gift we receive is given with some purpose to help us do God's will but sometimes, like Jonah, we resist and maybe want to give it back because we can't accept the obligations that come with the gift. God, I pray, we are always able, at some point, to embrace what you give us and trust that your plan for us and the use of those gifts will lead to your glory by bringing joy to others and ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little behind here...

    There are two sentences I caught my attention.

    #1
    Page 42, the last sentence of the 1st paragraph, "...we must remember that going forward may be difficult, but going back is disastrous."

    As I face the loss of my current job, this statement speaks to me from the perspective of letting my former career die in order to give life to the new version of me. One that is based on passion and purpose instead of success and what others expect of me.

    #2 - The concept of "getting the slavery out of people"
    At first, I thought get the people out of slavery was equivalent to getting the slavery out of people. Then, I realized I was wrong.

    I think the "slavery within" is based on specific attachments we carry inside of us that control our way of life. They are attachments that at one point served us but have now morphed into something that clouds our true self and moves us away from our oneness with God.

    Maybe, I can refer to these attachments as beliefs that are no longer in alignment with our maximum potential and who we are meant to be.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom