Monday, April 13, 2020

Keep Your Eye on the Ball


In the 1st reading at Mass this morning, Peter, speaking to the Jewish people, quotes what King David said in Psalm 16:

I saw the Lord ever before me,
with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed.
Therefore my heart has been glad and my tongue has exulted;
my flesh, too, will dwell in hope,
because you will not abandon my soul to the nether world,
nor will you suffer your holy one to see corruption.
You have made known to me the paths of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence.
                                                                        Acts 2:25-28

That passage leads me to this question. As Christians should we look at all that is happening differently than those who are not Christians? The simple answer is yes. We look at it differently because we know that God is with us. We look at it differently because of Easter. We look at it differently because Jesus rose from the dead. We look at it differently because we know Jesus and “…with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed.”

I remember when I played Little League baseball. One particular coach that I had was Mr. Trulock. He was forever telling me, “Tom, keep your eye on the ball. Keep your eye on the ball.” With all that is going on today, it is easy to take our eyes off the ball. It’s easy to take our eyes off the Lord. As we go through all this, is your eye on the ball? Is your focus on the Lord? Put another way; are you able to say right now, “…with the Lord at my right hand I shall not be disturbed”?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom