Thursday, April 9, 2020

Holy Triduum


Holy Week now moves to full speed. 

Holy Thursday: We begin tonight with the Mass of the Lord's Supper. On Holy Thursday we received two Sacraments and a model to follow in our life.

The two Sacraments are the institution of the Eucharist and Holy Orders. The Church describes the Eucharist as the source and summit of who we are as God's holy people. It is the source in that all that we are flows from the Eucharist. It is the summit in that we are at our best when we "do this in memory of me." Jesus gave us priests to lead us in word and sacrament. If I can be so bold as to ask for your prayers. I love being a priest. Pray that I can be a better one tomorrow than I was today. Say that prayer every day and I know God will bless me.

The model is found in the washing of the feet. I've said before that the Eucharist can never really be separated from the washing of the feet. If we are to share in the table we are also called to share in the service. 

Good Friday: Of course on Good Friday we celebrate the Passion of our Lord. We read the passion story; we pray for the needs of the world: we venerate the cross and (normally) we receive the Eucharist consecrated on Holy Thursday. This year find a way to do those things. Read the passion (here is a link to it http://usccb.org/bible/readings/041020.cfm Next, offer prayers for the entire world-Catholics, other Christians, our Jewish brothers and sisters, other religions, those who do not believe in God, those to be received into the church soon, government leaders, and those affected by the Coronavirus. Veneration of the cross is simple enough. Simply take a crucifix down from a wall and place it on your lap and say some prayers while meditating on the cross. Finally, say the prayer of Spiritual Communion. Here it is:

My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.

Easter Sunday: Happy Easter everyone. We celebrate it a lot different but what we celebrate is the same. We celebrate the empty tomb; not just that it is empty, but it is empty because Christ is Risen! Notice we don't say Christ was Risen. We say Christ is risen. Our savior lives today. Invite him into your hearts right now! Enjoy the day but do so in a safe and responsible way. 

God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom