Monday, February 5, 2018

February 5, 2018  Chapter 23 Jesus and the Multitudes

     In some ways, this chapter was a little disturbing for me. I don't know that I like dividing the world into categories (the 1%ers, the multitudes, and the middle managers). Perhaps because it just leads to divisions; or perhaps because there is more truth in it than I care to admit. However, when I read it and then the readings that accompany it this week, I was struck by two things. First, Ezekiel reminds us that while God's concern is with all of his sheep--he expects more from his shepherds. Second, from Luke Jesus shows concern for all, from the "prodigal" son that leaves it all in search for his happiness only to be led back home again (which one of us hasn't made that journey in one way or another), to the little children (considered as nothing in that time), to the rich man searching for salvation (it is not impossible for God to save all), to a blind beggar aside the road, and finally to a wealthy tax collector. I don't know if it was McLaren's point to say that salvation is open to all or not, but that is what I gathered from the passages.
     I don't necessarily like the divisions of the 1%ers versus the rest (with or without the middlemen), but if those divisions need to be made, after having been to Haiti numerous times, I could easily count myself among the 1%ers...And as part of that group, I have to ask myself: In what ways do I exploit others?
     I look at the home I live in--modest by this country's standards, but a mansion to most in Haiti. I look at my income, once again average by this country's standards, but a fortune to most of the world living on a few dollars a day.
     Perhaps that is why this chapter disturbs me. I don't like to think of myself as a 1%er, but maybe I am. And I guess I can live with being the middle manager trying to find balance between the 1%ers and the multitudes. but it is clear to me that Jesus has a "preferential option for the multitudes" and I know that I am not in that class--which is for me...a bit disturbing.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Father Tom,it is a disturbing chapter.But it was what McLaren said about the Pharisees that disturbed me. My memories of a church more concerned with rules pre Vatican ll still haunt me and I have certainly met many modern day Pharisees who lay heavy burdens on the backs of the multitudes rather than caring for them as they are. I know rules are important in any society but I've seen too many people hurt by rules and laws of the church including gays, the divorced,and those deemed "unclean". I have to remind myself daily to love everyone as God's beloved children, even the Pharisees among us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I perceived the separation in categories as a mindset more than physical classes of people. Granted, I can actually see the sign of classes.

    Studies out there say that only 1% of business owners are millionaires. The riches people in the world are probably 1% of it.

    There are certain separations but I believe the biggest separation is the mindset.

    There are rich people that think like the multitudes and don't forget about them. There are also poor people that behave like the 1%s.

    My brother, on my father's side, continues to publish posts and misinterpreted messages about how "religion and God" are a farce and totally ignore the oppressed.

    He can only see a certain way and continues to prove "he is right." Just like the Pharisees who believed they were always right and pure.

    I am not a 1% because I don't hoard and rig the system to be in my favor. I may be a manager but I do continue to find ways to use my talents to help the multitude.

    My objective is to become one of the 1%rs reach business owners while finding ways to use my wealth for the betterment of the world.

    Only time will tell how far can I go.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom