Monday, February 12, 2018

February 12, 2018  Chapter 24 Jesus and Hell

      A couple of thoughts about this chapter. I liked it when McLaren wrote: "We might say he (Jesus) wasn't so much teaching about hell as he was un-teaching about hell. And in doing so he wasn't simply arguing for a different understanding of the afterlife. He was doing something far more important and radical: proclaiming a transformative vision of God." (page 113)  That is how I've always thought about Jesus and his teaching on hell. He was telling us 1) it's not what you think and 2) it's not for who you think. In many ways this is the "great reversal" at its greatest. And we might find comfort in that until we see ourselves as the religious of this day--then it becomes a bit challenging and makes me look even more closely at if I allow God to transform me in my own life. Because if I don't perhaps I'll be spending time with those in Jesus' day who didn't. Not a pleasant thought.
     The second thought that comes to mind is that of universal salvation (the belief that no one is in hell--and all are saved.) I guess I don't know if that can be true and it has its down side (think Hitler or Manson or...) but there is certainly a part of me that hopes it is true. If Jesus' desire that he not lose any of those that was given to him (John 6:39), is it a stretch to think then that anyone who is capable of being redeemed is redeemed? And is it possible that there is anyone who has absolutely no redeemable qualities? And if God is all powerful and desires not to lose anyone, is it possible that God will redeem everyone? As I said, I don't know that I believe it is true as much as I hope it is true.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Father Tom, I sure hope there is universal salvation. If we believe we are all God's beloved children wouldn't his love extend to even the Hitlers, the Mansons, the others? I think we enjoy putting people in hell much more than God does.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom