Sunday, December 3, 2017

Monday, December 4, 2017 Women on the Edge

I want to break away from my reflection on the chapter and share on one of the questions found at the end of the chapter.

Question number 2 invites us to share a story about a woman in your life who had a powerful influence. Of course, there are a lot from my own family: my grandmother Clegg ( who would be 107 today if she were still living), certainly my mom and any one of my four sisters. All of them were powerful influences on my life.

But perhaps more than any of them, Sr. Barbara Fiand, SNDdeN, has had the most influence on me as a priest. Sr. Barbara was my spiritual director in seminary. I was fortunate in many ways to go to a seminary that allowed women to serve in that capacity. According to the rules of seminary formation, spiritual directors had to be other priests. I guess the rationale was that only a priest could really help a young seminarian know the day-in day-out struggles, joys, heartaches of being a priest. However, Sr. Barbara was a person who understood people. She was challenging when I needed to be challenged. She was gentle when I needed her to be gentle.  She would never let me be complacent and always challenged me to be the very best person I could be. More than anyone else, she helped me to be the person I am today and the priest I am today. I was blessed to have her in my life.

What about you? Who are some of the women who have influenced you in your life?

2 comments:

  1. I went back to school with four children at home to get my undergraduate and Masters degree to Spalding University. I was so lucky to have an exceptional professor, Doctor Marylee King for all of my scripture classes. I learned so much from her and was amazed by the faith she had in me when I myself was so unsure of how I was going to survive college and keep my family on sound footing. She challenged and affirmed me. She just died this year and I believe heaven gained a remRkable teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this chapter I connected more with the waiting period. I find it challenging to trust the process and continue to walk in faith when there's no evidence of progress to be seen.

    This seems to be contradiction in my life since I claim to be a believer and yet require some evidence that things are working for my own good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Your post will be reviewed as quickly as possible and then posted to the blog. Fr. Tom